- Buyers in many areas have the advantage in the current market, but there are still guidelines that need to be followed.
- Buyers need to show they are serious if they hope to secure their dream house amid buyer competition or sellers so frustrated they may be willing to hold out for a stronger market turnaround.
- Professionalism and realistic expectations can go a long way toward ensuring a smooth and timely closing transaction, which is important to buyers and sellers alike.
- Deals can be found, but playing hardball with lowball offers that are out of sync with comparable local sales can be time-consuming.
- There may be wiggle room with seller concessions — covering closing costs, tossing in repair credits — so entering into a prospective deal armed with local-market knowledge and respectful consideration of the seller’s position can go a long way toward getting a great deal on a great property.